Event takes place at 10:00 AM on May 18.
The following teams are registered and confirmed as paid for DASH 5:
1. Plan Commitee
2. Go Figure
3. Puzzle Underground
4. Silly Hat Brigade
5. The Bryan Bilsons
7. Hot Air Balloon Redux
8. Capt. J-Graham's Puzzle-iers
9. Uncommon Denominators
10. Dash of the Titans
11. Seven of Diamonds
12. No Whining
13. Cougin' it Oyster Racing
14. Clearly Ambiguous
15. Never Nudes
16. G. Gavin Gunhold
18. Strip Endplay
19. Nice and Satan
20. Gospel Tentacle Revival
22. Bringin' Up the Rear
23. London Calling
Welcome to DASH5, PDX Puzzlers! We're planning an excellent trip around the city for your intellectual enjoyment. Be ready for an action-packed day full of challenging puzzles alongside teams in fifteen other cities doing the exact same thing at the same time.
If you haven't registered your team for DASH5, head to the main registration page, and then come right back here!
If you aren't quite sure what DASH5 is all about, you should start with the main FAQ, and then check the specific PDX FAQ below.
Start Time -- 10:00am on the dot! Teams who arrive late will be at an immediate disadvantage. Plan to sign-in by 9:30 for your own good! (Seriously, it is important that everyone is there and ready to begin at 10am)
End Time -- 6:00pm? DASH5 is scheduled for an 6-hour run, but you know how these things go...
Start Location -- Waterfront Park, right next to (South of) the Hawthorne Bridge. More specifically, look for us here.
Start by going to the main Registration Page to sign up your team. Next, come back to this page and click the Buy Now button below to pay the team registration fee.
First, make sure you have registered your team on the main Registration Page. Once you register a team, come back to this page, enter your team name, and click the Buy Now button below to pay your team registration fee.
Please be sure to enter the same team name you used on the registration page, so that we know which teams have paid!
The registration fee is $40 regardless of the team size.
Ideally your team will have 3-5 players. There have been teams as small as 2 that still had a great time. If you have more than 5, it will make it difficult to collaborate on the puzzles and we highly encourage splitting into two teams. (Also, if you have more than 5 team members, your time on the national scoreboard will be forever tarnished by an asterisk to indicate your use of illegal performance enhancing brains.)
It depends heavily on the experience of the team. Nominally this is supposed to be a 6-8 hour hunt, but expert teams can often finish in half that time. But count on a good chunk of the day.
You'll get wet.
Seriously, you'll get wet. This is Portland, so dress appropriately for a day wandering about outside. We'll do our best to have some weather-protected puzzle-solving spaces available at each location.
Send us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org), and we will see if we can get you on a team.
- Scratch paper and pens/pencils/erasers (pretty much necessary)
- Scissors, tape, sharpie, a RULER, highlighters (often helpful)
- Clipboards, blanket (useful if you aren't at a table)
- A shrubbery! (this is not a clue)
- Smartphone, reference materials - smartphones and the internet are legal game play. If you need to Google something and don't have a smartphone among your team, feel free to ask Game Control for help and we will be happy to act as your Google proxy. Also, we highly recommend using the iPhone app "ARG Tools" (essentially a code-sheet app) developed by our friend Brian of Puzzled Pint fame.
- There will be an optional national activity that you can do over Twitter, so if you come prepared for twittering, you'll be able to participate in that.
- Good walking shoes (expect to walk around 3-4 miles over the course of the hunt, depending on how often you get lost)
- Some spending money if you plan on buying lunch at one of the many delicious options you will pass near over the course of the day.
- Your sense of puzzling adventure!
If you are not yet aware of the monthly puzzle-solving gathering we are lucky to have here in PDX, you should definitely check out the Puzzled Pint website.
There will be some good opportunities to purchase food over the course of the hunt, but it's always a good idea to bring a few snacks, a water bottle, etc.
Puzzles from previous DASH games:
Registration for DASH5 is now open.